Amy Clark und Janet Smith September 29, 2022 • 8 minutes reading time
When someone tells you they love you, sometimes you feel panicked.Your mind may start racing and you may not know what to answer. The worst answer you can give is not to answer at all. When someone tells you they love you, it's important that you at least acknowledge what they said.
Read on for some alternative responses to I love you:
Cute responses to I love you
There are many kind answers you can give someone when they say I love you. A simple "I love you too" is always a great option, but if you want to get a little more creative, try one of these answers:
1. I never get tired of hearing you say that.
This response is sweet, loving, and will make the other person feel valued. It shows them that you enjoy hearing them say I love you and that you never want them to stop saying it.
2. That means a lot comes from you.
You are the happiest person in the world when you are with the person you love, and hearing them say those three little words can confirm how special your bond is. When someone tells you they love you and you feel the same way about them, let them know with this reply.
3. I feel so lucky to be loved by you.
Similar to the previous answer, this is about expressing how lucky you are to have been loved by such an amazing person.
4. Every time you say "I love you," it takes my breath away.
This quote is a great way to show your partner that their love still has the power to break you, even after all this time.
5. Wow! I love you too!"
This answer is funny, flirty, and sure to make your partner smile.
6. I am very grateful for your love.
This is a great answer if you want to show your partner how grateful you are for their love.
7. You are an amazing person and I love you for it.
This response is a great way to not only say "I love you" to your partner, but also to congratulate them for being an amazing person.
8. I love you more than anything in the world.
This is a beautiful way to say "I love you" to your partner and show them how much they mean to you.
9. There is no one in the world I would rather say "I love you" to than you.
This is a cute way to show your partner that they are your number one choice for love and that no one else can match them.
10. There's nothing quite like hearing you say "I love you."
Expressing how happy you are when your partner says "I love you" is a great way to show them how much those three little words mean to you.
11. Thank you for loving me.
This response is sweet and shows your appreciation for the person's love.
12. I am so happy that you are in my life.
Who wouldn't want to hear that? Telling the person you love that you're glad they're in your life is a nice way to show them how much you care.
13. You always make me feel so loved.
Sometimes the best thing you can say is something that simply expresses how much you appreciate being loved by that person. If you want to make your answer extra special, try adding a heartfelt thank you.
14. I love you too!
The most classic response to those three little words is simply to say them back. If you feel the same way as the person who just told you they love you, don't hesitate to tell them with this proven and direct answer.
15. You have no idea how much I needed to hear that.
This is a great response when you're feeling overwhelmed with emotion and need a little time to process what happened. It shows your partner that their declaration of love means a lot to you and gives them the opportunity to comfort you when you need it.
funny answers to i love you
Sometimes the best way to respond to "I love you" is with a little humor. If you want to make your partner laugh, try one of these silly answers.
1. High time! I started to think that you didn't love me anymore.
Haha was just kidding! But seriously, this answer is sure to make your partner laugh.
2. I love you too... now give me a massage!
This direct response is sure to get your partner laughing and maybe even a massage.
3. Awww I love you too...can we hug now?
This answer is sweet and playful and sure to put a big smile on your partner's face.
4. Oh, does that mean you're doing the dishes tonight?
This is a great way to tease your partner and show them that you love them, even if they're a little annoying.
5. I love myself too!
This answer is sure to make your partner laugh.
6. Who doesn't?
That's what I call self-confidence! This answer is sure to make your partner laugh.
7. If I were you, I would love me too.
Well, that's just good advice! This answer is sure to make your partner laugh.
8. Damn yes!
how can they not love you
9. What? I didn't hear you, can you say it again?
Just say it again honey.
10. I love you enough for our iPhone-Samsung relationship to work.
Do you and your partner have different brands of phones? This is a great way to joke about it and show them that even if you don't have the same taste in phones, you're still head over heels in love.
Bonus: How to Respond to "I Love You" When You Don't Love Her
If you don't love the person who just told you they love you, there are a few different ways you can respond. It's important to be respectful and honest in your response while trying to let the person down easily.
Here are a few different ways you can respond to "I love you" if you don't feel that way:
1. "Thank you for telling me how you feel. You're very important to me, but I'm not in love with you."
If you know the person expects a certain response from you, it's important to be honest with them. This answer lets her know that you still care about her, but you are not in love with her.
2. "That means a lot from you. I'm just not ready to say 'I love you'."
You may see a future with this person, but you're not ready to say "I love you" just yet. If so, please let them know with this answer. It shows that you are interested in taking things to the next level, but that you need a little more time.
3. "Thanks for telling me. I care about you, but I don't think I'm in love with you.
Sometimes people mistake strong feelings of caring and affection for love. If you think this might be the case for the person who just told you they love you, let them know with this reply. It shows that you still care about her, but you don't think your feelings are in the "love" stage yet.
4. "That's really nice to say. Thanks for telling me how you feel."
If you're not sure how you feel about the person who just told you they love you, or if you need some time to process your feelings, this is a great answer. It shows that you appreciate their feelings, but that you need some time to think about how you're feeling.
5. "I'm sorry, but I don't feel the same."
If you're sure you don't love the person who just told you they love you, it's important to be honest with them. This direct response lets them know that you are not interested in taking things to the next level and that they should move on.
Regardless of the answer you choose, it's important to be respectful and honest.Telling someone you don't love them is never easy, but it's important to do what's best for both of you in the long run.
So there you have it! How to respond to "I love you" in different ways.Whether you're head over heels in love with the person who just told you they love you or you don't feel that way, there's an answer for you on this list.
The best relationship books to help you survive and thrive
Whether single or in a relationship, navigating the waters of love can be difficult.Offering advice and guidance from both experts and real-life couples, these books will give you the tools you need to make your relationship work. These books will surely provide you with valuable information if you are looking for a way to spice up your love life or simply to learn how to communicate better with your partner.
- Love: The Psychology of Attraction: A Practical Guide to Successful Dating and a Happy Relationship
- Single, Dating, Engaged, Married: Navigating Life and Love in the Modern Age
- The Power of the Four Relationship Foundations: Can You Hit a Home Run in a Relationship?
- Communication and Relationship: A guide to deeper connection, trust and intimacy to improve communication and strengthen your bond as a couple
- Couples bucket list: 101 fun and sexy date ideas
Share this article:
Amy Clark is a freelance writer writing about relationships, marriage and family. She has been happily married for over ten years and loves her husband and their three children. Before …
Read full biography
Janet Smith is a freelance writer writing about psychology, relationships and dating. She has always been interested in understanding the human brain and how our...
Read full biography
"I used to love you too"How do you respond to I love you text without saying it back? ›
- "Oh, that is so cute. ...
- "Who me? ...
- "I think you're pretty awesome too." ...
- "I love U2, but Bono's kind of an ass." ...
- "Since when? ...
- Look into his eyes, hug him and wriggle your fingers through his hair. ...
- Kiss the hell out of him. ...
- "I'm glad this is how you feel about me."
Tell them how happy it makes you
You can even just say, “That makes me so happy!” It's really that simple. It might not be saying “I love you” back, but it'll be enough to make them realize that you're happy with their love. And it's better than saying “thank you.”
I love the way you smile. I find you attractive. You're lovely. I can't stop thinking about you.What are 5 ways to say I love you? ›
- I love you. Sweet, simple and easy to remember. ...
- I'm in love with you. This phrase is a bit more intense than the simple, “I love you”. ...
- You're the love of my life. ...
- I love you to the moon and back. ...
- I'm crazy about you. ...
- I'm head over heels for you. ...
- You're my other half. ...
- I will always love you.
A 2011 study published in the Journal of Sociology Psychology found that, while both male and female college students believe women tend to say “I love you” first, it's actually men who fall in love faster and say the L-word earlier. In fact, they think about saying it about six weeks earlier than women do.How do you say I love you back in a text? ›
- I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you! ...
- I wish I was there with you! ...
- Missing you lots and looking forward to seeing you soon!
- Just another reminder of how much I love you! ...
- I'm so lucky to have you in my life, and I'm counting the days/hours until I can see you again!
- Remember, actions speak louder than words. ...
- It doesn't necessarily mean he's ready to commit. ...
- If you feel the same way, say it back. ...
- Saying I love you can leave you very confused. ...
- Be careful if I love you comes too soon. ...
- Examine the context. ...
- Make sure you feel like you're loved.
Whether you and your partner express love on a daily basis depends on your needs and preferences. Again, some couples utter these words multiple times per day, whereas others simply don't say, “I love you” very often. If you feel compelled to say it every day, there probably isn't anything wrong with this.What does ily mean not I love you? ›
It's short for I love you, but it doesn't pack the same punch as the spelled-out phrase, which is why it's mostly used to describe admiration or fondness rather than actual love.
The question of when to say “I love you” in a relationship is a contentious one. In the many conversations I've had on the topic, the consensus seems to be that three months in is the sweet spot. But that feels like a lifetime to me. In all my serious relationships, the L-word was dropped closer to three weeks.What are 100 ways to say I love you? ›
- You're my better half.
- I'm sweet on you.
- You're my everything.
- “You're the apple of my eye.
- I'm crazy about you.
- I'm head over heels for you.”
- You're my heart and soul.
- I'm mad about you.
143 means I love you. 143 is an internet slang numerical expression that conveys a message of love. Home.What is 143 in love? ›
143 is code for I love you, especially used on pagers back in the 1990s.How do you say I love you in secret code? ›
2. 143: I Love You. This one is easy. I (1) Love (4) You (3).What are deeper love words? ›
- I cherish you.
- I want a lifetime with you.
- I adore you.
- I am better because of you.
- I need you by my side.
- I cannot stop thinking about you.
- My love for you is unconditional and eternal.
- All of the good in my life is because of you.
For example, he holds your hand, has his arms around you, hugs you, always sit close to you, etc. 2- He puts a lot of efforts to make you feel loved. He brings random gifts for you, sings a song for you on a special day, makes time to talk to you anyhow, makes sudden plans, etc. 3- He always listens to you properly.Who falls in love faster? ›
And generally in heterosexual relationships, men fall in love faster than women, per a study published in Evolutionary Psychology in 2010. Meanwhile, in relationships between two women, love or commitment is expressed after around six months, according to a 2000 study.Do men fall in love faster? ›
In fact, researchers found that men thought about confessing love six weeks earlier, on average, than women. The general consensus among studies on love is that men fall in love faster than women.How soon is too soon to say I love you? ›
Both Cosgrove and Ruiz agree that it's best to say those three special words once you have spent at least three to five months getting to know your partner, where you've likely also talked about future plans you'd like to experience together, whether that be marriage or even just a vacation.
- Y/N: Thinking about me?
- Feeling cuddly? ...
- Still wearing your sweatshirt…
- Netflix? ...
- Can't stop thinking about your lips.
- How much skin is too much skin to show on our date tonight?
- You're my favorite veggie—a cute-cumber!
- Thinking a lot of things about you I can't say…but I could text.
I love you. Nothing brings me joy like waking up and falling asleep by your side. My love – every day I spend with you is the next best day of my life. My partner in shine – thank you for giving me everything and more with the power of your love.How do you test if a man loves you? ›
If your boyfriend loves you, he will treat you with respect. That means that he listens to you and cares about what's going on in your life. He notices the little things that you like and goes out of his way to give them to you. He values you as a person, and he genuinely listens to your opinions.How do you confirm if a man loves you? ›
Many times, the true signs are in the little things like his body language, the way he prioritizes you, or when he goes out of his way to try to make you happy. Other signs he loves you are that he asks for your opinion on things and he says nice things about you.How long is normal to say I love you? ›
According to one survey, men take an average of 88 days to tell a partner "I love you," compared to a woman's 134. Moreover, 39 percent of men say "I love you" within the first month of dating someone, compared to just 23 percent of women. Personality differences also cause people to fall in love at different paces.Is saying I love you too soon a red flag? ›
While early relationship feels (and hormones) can be intoxicating, relationship experts warn that it might be a red flag if you or your partner is too quick to say, “I love you.” “'I love you' shouldn't be said lightly,” says “Dr.What's the average time to say I love you? ›
She said: "Recent studies indicated that most men say I love you on average after three months, while women can take two, three, six or even a year. "This is not always the case as others alter these heavy words after hours, days, of knowing each other."What's the meaning of 831 😂 💕? ›
The number 831 is a cyber term used to mean "I Love You." Each individual number in 831 has a specific definition: 8 = The total number of letters in the phrase "I Love You." 3 = The total number of words in the phrase "I Love You."What does BBG mean in text? ›
better be going—a neutral, polite way to end a conversation that might otherwise continue.What does BB mean? ›
It's occasionally used as an acronym for basketball and bye-bye. More commonly, however, bb is short for baby as an affectionate term used of lovers, partners, friends, and even pets. Fans on social media may even gush over their idols by referring to them as bb.
Love bombing is a controlling and manipulative tactic most often used by narcissists and abusive people. They seek to quickly obtain affection and attention before tearing their victims down. They may appear charming and exciting in the beginning, but this usually fades away and is replaced with emotional abuse.What do guys think when a girl says I love you first? ›
4. Guys actually like when you say it first. The pressure of responding to an "I love you" is way less than the pressure of saying it first. Think of saying it first as doing a favor, which is something you do for people you love.What is the earliest to say I love? ›
While men tended to consider confessions of love acceptable after about a month or so, women tended to say it was better to wait 2 to 3 months or so.How do you respond to I love you text from a friend? ›
I love you too.
In almost any situation where someone tells you they love you and you feel the same, there is no more appropriate response than “I love you too.”
He really loves you, and he means it completely when he says those three words. He could say it on the very first date or a few months down the dating lane, but he still means it with all his heart and sees you as a long term lover in his life.Who should say I love you first? ›
Who should say 'I love you' first? Either partner can say “I love you” first. If you're feeling it and want your partner to know, it's OK to be the one who takes the plunge. In 2011, a study on relationship commitment among college students found most of them believed women generally say “I love you” first.How do you know if a man truly loves you? ›
- He does things for you when you least expect them. ...
- He is always curious to know more about you. ...
- If you're happy, he's happy. ...
- He makes you a part of his life. ...
- He sees a future with you. ...
- He wants things to work and makes an effort.